Monday, December 7, 2009

The writer I wish I could be . . .

There's probably only two living writers that I wish I could be (or be as good as):
The first is J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5 among other moments of awesomeness).
The second is my good friend April French. I had the pleasure of reading her stories in several creative writing classes . . . and unlike most other students in the creative writing program, she wasn't in it for the glory. She was in it because she loved to write. And also unlike most other creative writing students (and professors) she was good.

Several years ago, while we were still in undergrad school, April had made the suggestion that we collaborate on some sort of project. I was interested, but did little to pursue that end . . . and I think that may have been the single most fantastic blunder of my writing career.

April's work is sophisticated and fun, serious and beautiful, complex but fast-paced, and drowns readers under incredible waves of imagination.

Go check out her new website http://www.aprilfrench.net/

There, you can get to know about her. Purchase her novella Egg of the Damned and preview her upcoming works, including the much-anticipated The Unmentionables.

No comments:

Post a Comment